The theatre, which today is managed by the Chursächsischen Veranstaltungs GmbH, is the official headquarters of the Chursächsische Philharmonic and under the patronage of His Royal Highness Alexander, Prince of Saxony. All year round, the King Albert Theatre offers an outstanding program covering all genres.
The cultural and festival city Bad Elster can look back on a long theatre tradition: Performances were first performed in the “Albert Theatre” at the Brunnenberg in 1888. Due to the large public demand from all over Europe the Royal Theatre Company, which was founded in Bad Elster in 1912, was commissioned by the Saxon royal family with the planning and new construction of a modern, representative theatre. The new theatre was finally inaugurated by His Majesty King Friedrich August III of Saxony on May 22, 1914 as the last German court theatre. Since then, the building is considered to be one of the most important and magnificent theatres ever. After decades of performances, the theatre began renovations in 1998. Exactly 90 years after its inauguration, the King Albert Theatre was reopened on May 22, 2004 with Albert Lortzing’s opera “Tsar and Carpenter,” presented by the Landesbühnen Sachsen and the Chursächsische Philharmonic under the direction of GMD Florian Merz. Since then, it is the cultural centre of the region.
In 2014, the theatre celebrated its 100th birthday with a great anniversary season.