The monastery, which was founded in about 1133, was, strictly speaking, not part of the Vogtland Reeves’ territory at any time.
However, there were numerous points of contact. They resulted from the fact that the monastery was located close to the imperial town of Eger, where the Reeves of Weida and Plauen acted as governors or judges for a long time. The numerous disputes, which the monastery had to resolve, had their origin in the fact that Waldsassen – like its powerful neighbour, Eger – was a wealthy landlord and was involved in extensive colonisation and economic activities.
If Waldsassen was fairly important for the history of the Vogtland Reeves and the Vogtland region, its importance was far greater with regard to the Premonstratensian monastery in Mildenfurth near Weida. The connection between the two monasteries must have been good. Some significant documents related to the history of Mildenfurth are the important source in establishing this link.
Waldsassen had a reputation as a cultural centre at the beginning of the 14th century. Abbot Johannes III of Elbogen (1310-1323) collected stories of miracles that illustrated God’s activities in this world. This was also the latest time when the foundation for a library was laid. It certainly suffered destruction on several occasions, like the monastery. It became important again after the reintroduction of Roman Catholicism to the Oberpfalz region in 1661. It is now located in the western section of the monastery building and is one of the most important exhibition libraries in the world.