Meerane was mentioned in 1361 as "oppidum de Mare". Like Crimmitschau and Schmölln, it belongs to the short-term possessions of the reeves.
In 1412, King Sigismund lent Heinrich X. “the elder”, Vogt of Plauen (1412-1426), with the Meerane market. Heinrich married Katharina von Sternberg and thus strengthened his father's Bohemian ambitions. It is not known whether Heinrich von Plauen ever took possession of the legendary castle hill in the city center. The mountain is still there, the 12th century castle has long since disappeared.
It is best to come from the church through the old arch that belongs to an inn into Schulgasse. The castle complex may have been on the right.
The castle hill is freely accessible.
Information on how to get here by bus and train can be found on the website of the city of Meerane or use the Deutsche Bahn website for timetable information: www.bahn.de
You can reach Meerane directly via the motorway A 4 - exit Meerane. The city is also on the federal road B 93 from Leipzig and Zwickau.
There are parking spaces on the Teichplatz or at the Karl-Heinz-Freiberger-Halle.