The former high school and the grammar school complement the Classicist collection of buildings at the centre of the town next to the Lower Castle.
The grammar school was built in 1874 and was opened one year later. The building is now home to the Lessing regular school in Greiz. The high school was opened as a boy’s institution in 1803, following the town fire in 1802. After extensive reconstruction work, the town and district library in Greiz moved into the high school in 1993.