A small chapel was built near the Franciscan monks’ monastery, which was first mentioned in 1267, during the first half of the 13th century.
Construction work on the Early Gothic church started in about 1350. After the Reformation, it was elevated to become the sole Town and Parish Church of Weida. Destroyed by a fire in 1633, the Town Church was rebuilt with the help of donations from the Swedish army in 1644. It was completely renovated in 1833. The supporting structure of the roof was renewed in 1990. The stained-glass windows inside the building are particularly worth seeing. St Mary’s is one of the landmarks in Weida, but is a church without bells. A commemorative plaque in front of the church recalls Duke Moritz Wilhelm von Sachsen-Weida, who was buried under the altar in the former royal crypt.
The opening hours are valid from Easter Sunday until October 31st.
If you want to visitat a different time, please go to the close by church parish.
Admission is free. We kindly ask for donations for the further receipt.