St Mary’s Church is situated in the centre of the town on Kirchplatz.
There are no specific details indicating how St Mary’s Church was founded, but there is certainly evidence that it must have existed by 1237. The church was destroyed by a major fire in 1665. It had largely been rebuilt by 1666. A Ladegast organ was installed in 1879 and, in more recent times, the upper part of the church tower was demolished and rebuilt (1987 – 1989). The 30-metre high, Late Gothic, square church tower with its octagonal crown has become a symbol of the town. The valuable Ladegast organ was extensively restored in 1992-93. The church and the church roof were completely renovated a few years later and the complete church square was renewed. Concerts given in St Mary’s Church are very popular with people living in the surrounding region.