Mylau Castle is one of the most impressive castles in the Vogtland. The castle with two interior courtyards and four towers was built on a mountain spur above Göltzschbach and Raumbach during the High Middle Ages. In the 14th century, Mylau Castle and the towns it reigned over fell under the rule of the Bohemian king; later it would be ruled by the House of Wettin. Joseph Lewin Metzsch (1507-1571), who introduced the Reformation to the region, was one of the most well-known residents of Mylau Castle.
In the 18th century, the castle passed into the hands of the townspeople, was used as a spinning and textile printing factory and deteriorated noticeably. In 1892, the city of Mylau bought the castle and moved its city hall and the museum onto the premises. The castle and its impressive outer bailey can be viewed nowadays as part of the tour through the museum.
The Museum Burg Mylau presents the multifaceted collections of Reichenbach and Mylau’s naturopathy associations. It is also very informative in regard to the castle’s eventful history, which ranges from being the centre of power, to a factory and finally the city’s administration. Emphasis is also put on the Reformation in the region as well as naturopathy. A significant exhibit piece, however, is the castle itself with its historic rooms.