The former God’s Acre Church was given the Reformer’s name on his 400th birthday.
Plauen’s second oldest church was once called God’s Acre Church, and was renamed to bear Luther’s name in 1883, on the occasion of the Reformer’s 400th birthday. The church was inaugurated in 1722 after 29 years of construction, and is one of Saxony’s oldest baroque central churches. Worth mentioning is the late Gothic winged altarpiece, which was created in 1495 by a master from Erfurt before it was expanded at a later date.
The altar was a gift from the city council of Leipzig on the occasion of a parish fair by and stems from the famous St. Thomas Church in Leipzig. Today it still adorns the church in Plauen, which was renovated in 2010.