The Elster Bridge was destroyed and rebuilt several times. Today it is a rarity in Thuringia,
The covered wooden bridge at the foot of the Veitsberg was first built in the middle of the 13th century, providing a safe crossing for trader and travellers. At 71m in length, it spans the Weiße Elster in Wünschendorf. Over the course of the centuries, it was destroyed many times through heavy ice in the winter.
Nevertheless, the current structure dates back to 1786 and is almost completely in its original condition.