Old Elstertal Bridge in Plauen

The imposing stone bridge already spanned the river at the intersection of two important trade routes almost 800 years ago.

The Alte Elsterbrücke in Plauen is the second oldest preserved stone arch bridge in Saxony and is considered to be one of the oldest of its kind in Central Europe. The Elster crossing was first mentioned in writing in 1244 as the “pons lapideus.” Today, it is located in the centre of Plauen.

At one time, it was built as part of Plauen’s city fortifications at the intersection of two medieval trade routes that led to Thuringia and Bohemia.

Tourist- Information Plauen

Unterer Graben 1
08523 Plauen

Telefon: 03741 2911027
Fax: 03741 29131028

E-Mail:
touristinfo@plauen.de
Web:
www.plauen.de/tourismus